Tuesday, September 20, 2016

DC 2016

Summer 2016 is coming to an end. It was a good one. We made a lot of great memories. The theme of the summer: how much heat can you take?

Michael and I kicked off the summer with a trip to Key West. It was amazing. The heat was overwhelming but almost welcome after a cool spring.

In July we took th kids to DC to visit my family who live nearby and to do the DC thing. DC in July is miserable. We knew this, but had no other option.

Here are some photos to summarize our trip:


We HAD to go to the American Girl store because it makes me feel like a 10 year old again but a 10 year old with a credit card. Morgan (age 7) picked out a doll from the new AG Well Wishers line and Jack (age 4) picked out two Bitty Babies that I carried around until he wasn't looking and stuck them back on the shelf. Not that I don't let my son play with dolls, but we already have a Bitty Baby at home that he ignores.


We rode the metro into the city and the kids were thrilled to walk around in the heat as you can see from this photo. They recovered in each museum, I promise. We visited American History, Natural History, and Air & Space. We were extremely disappointed that the dinosaur exhibit was closed for renovations in the Natural History museum.


We took a tour of Mount Vernon. I hadn't been there since middle school. Somehow it was even hotter there than it was in the city. We waited in line forever because they had to shut part of the house down to deal with a 'protein spill' - somebody barfed in George Washington's house!!!  Once we went inside, then back oitside, then back inside, then back outside during the tour, I started to feel a bit like a protein spill might be in my future as well...but I survived. My kids enjoyed the tour and really enjoyed the air conditioned museum and the fact that Pizza Hut was in the cafeteria. 



That evening we went back into the city because Morgan really wanted to go to the top of the Washington Monument. It was closed for renovations so my kids temporarily died a little from disappointment. 



We walked down to the Lincoln Memorial where it started to rain. One of my kids favorite memories was getting to use umbrellas in the city. 

So Pizza Hut at Mt Vernon, getting to use umbrellas, and learning to use the phrase 'protein spill' are some of the memories my kids have from our wonderful DC trip. 






No comments:

Post a Comment