Tuesday, May 15, 2012

getting peed on for medicinal purposes

So today Morgan and I woke up and did our morning routine.  She sings in her bed for a few (or 20) minutes while I work up the energy to drag myself out of my bed.  While she drinks her Pediasure Good Starts (or the Kroger equivalent) I make my bed, get dressed, trip over cats, decide between Cheerios or oatmeal, and open my computer for what possibly be the only time all day.  Morgan has been doing fabulous with her potty training.  We are so proud of her.  This morning she woke up with a dry diaper and went straight to the potty, yelling 'mommy I'm on the potty!!' (I'm learning that will be a phrase in my life for a long time) so I abandoned my Cheerios to go help her.  Her potty is located in the living room because that's where she wants it.  Whatever works.  I wiped her and then took her little potty to the bathroom to dump and clean and she followed me crying that I 'wiped her too hard' and I was like 'nuh uh!'

She tends to have a flair for drama.

But she cried for about ten minutes.  And then asked for a 'botsie' which is a pacifier we keep in the fridge for when she is hurt (especially busted lips).  We still also have teething rings in the fridge because...well....who knows.  I just haven't cleaned it out and what's the point now with Jack's eviction date about 7 or 8 weeks away.

She took the teething ring and put it on her naked backside saying 'ahhh that makes my booty feel better.'

What is UP with my kid?!

But she stopped crying. 

Oh and I gave her a dose of ibuprofen, because when she is throwing a fit, chances are some sort of drug will help....ibuprofen, claritin, tylenol, zantac, morphine...

Then she asked for a diaper, which is really strange, because she has been wearing 'potty pants' all day every day and only wears diapers at night. 

Then she got on her potty to pee....and wouldn't get off.

I kept saying 'okay Morgan let me wipe you and clean the potty' and she kept saying 'not done yet'....but she wasn't even doing anything other than sit on the potty and play with whatever Little People were within toe grabbing distance.

She sat there for over and hour and that's when it hit me...

somethin' ain't rite.

I texted my friend that works for a pediatrician and she said yes it sounded like a possible UTI and to call her doctor.  I tried to called Morgan's doctor but they were out to lunch for another half hour.  I paced the living room, called Michael, texted my mom, and finally decided to not wait for her doctor; because honestly they would have to 'work me in' and they are always so busy.  I don't feel like sitting in a waiting room for 2 hours.  I persuaded Morgan to abandon the potty with promises of getting to pee in a cup.

She was uber excited about that.

Plus she loves going to the doctor.

I took her to EZ Care, which is an urgent care sort of emergency place.  I love it there.  It's never busy and the staff is so nice.  I packed sippy cups and bottles of water and explained to Morgan on the way there she needed to drink a lot so she could pee in a cup for the doctor.  She drank and drank.  When it was time to go to the bathroom I took a deep breath and gave myself a pep talk.  I could do this.  I had dressed Morgan in a sundress to make the event easier.  I took off her pullup and she had peed.  A lot. 

Dang it.

She really couldn't help it; she had drank a lot of water and whatever was going on with her made her feel like she constantly needed to go to the bathroom even when she didn't need to. 

But we needed some pee in that cup.

The alternative to the cup is using a catheter to extract some urine.  Or a needle into the bladder.

Yeah, THAT sounds fun for any age.

I explained to her that she needed to try really hard to pee in the cup.  I had her stand with her legs apart and put the cup in place and waited for some action. 

She couldn't do it. 

She wanted to sit on the potty.  So I put her on the potty and had to put my hand holding the cup down under her, but she didn't like the feeling of the cup against her so I have to hover and wait.

She peed.  And I had to play 'catch the pee' before the sprinkles stopped.  I got pee on my hand.  My hand touched the inside of the toilet.

Sigh.

But we got a little pee in the cup!!!  Victory!

Then I had to wash my hands (about 14 times).  And clean Morgan up and wash her hands.  And put the lid on that precious urine in the cup and then wipe it down before handing it to the nurse.

I seriously think I deserve some special mother award for all that.  I got my 3 year old to pee in the cup.  And I touched the inside of a toilet at a doctor's office. 

They tested her sample and there was evidence of some sort of infection.  They are sending it to a lab to find out exactly what's going on.  They went ahead and gave her a prescription for a UTI/bladder infection.  We went to Kroger to fill it and I bought her a new My Little Pony (Applejack) for her cooperation.  And then I looked longingly at the wine and beer aisle. 

But I'm pregnant so I settled for a Snickers bar.  I think I earned it.

And by the way, we have no idea how she got this infection.  Could be the fact that she's naked way too much.  Or that I used something new in her bath last night.  Or that she used toilet paper over the weekend instead of baby wipes.  Or all of the above.  I just hope she feels better soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment